Squirrel Hill
Forum
Gallery
Calendar
FAQ
Crime
Squirrel Hill
Quick Links
Welcome to SquirrelHill.com, a website about the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh that includes a discussion board, picture gallery, crime statistics, local shops and more.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 06:27 PM

Default 16-year-old arrested in connection with deadly Waterfront shooting

16-year-old arrested in connection with deadly Waterfront shooting
Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:00:36 -0500

A Penn Hills teenager was arrested in connection with a shooting outside of a restaurant at The Waterfront.

Jaron Young, 17, faces several charges, including criminal homicide.

Young told Channel 11 reporter Brandon Hudson “Wrong place, wrong time,” as he was led away to jail.

The shooting happened outside Steak ‘n Shake around 8:10 p.m. Wednesday.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Imani Porter, of Point Breeze. Pittsburgh police Lt. Andrew Schurman said Porter was a former student at Allderdice High School.

"He was a great young guy," said Betty Peterson, Porter's friend. "I heard about it last night. Actually, I went on Facebook and saw it. It's hitting people hard, especially his family."

Pittsburgh native and nationally known rap star Wiz Khalifa sent a tweet out to his followers saying that Porter was his uncle.

"My uncle was younger and more level headed than all of us. I would have never seen this happening in a million years," Khalifa said via his Twitter account.

Another tweet sent out by Khalifa said, "God has a plan #RestWithGodImani."

While detectives continue to investigate, officials said the motive for the shooting was likely robbery. Witnesses told officers that two men fled the scene after the shots were fired.

Officers said drugs were found in the car Porter was seated in.

Police said they're still searching for a second suspect.

More...